John Hall, Founder and Owner
John’s love for camping and the outdoors dates back to his youth where he earned the ranking as an Eagle Scout. As a young man, John traveled with Up with People as a member of Cast D 78. After a year with UWP, John began his life in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia where he worked with various summer camps before founding Camp Horizons in 1983. Today Camp Horizons has grown to one of the premier summer camps on the east coast. John serves on the Board of Directors for UWP and continues to dedicate his efforts to positively impacting youth.
Walter Belcher, Director Camp Up with People
Walter Belcher is originally from Cleveland Ohio, by way of Arizona. He is a proud UWP alumnus of Cast C 89-90. Walter joined AmeriCorps, becoming a VISTA volunteer and working to improve the quality of life for impoverished families throughout Arizona. As a professional vocalist and advocate for youth, Walter values combining the arts with service learning and the cross cultural components that create this unique experience known as CUWP.
Our experienced, passionate, and talented summer team is comprised of quality individuals from around the world. Our staff members are carefully hand-picked from a large pool of interested applicants. The Camp Up with People (CUWP) summer staff plays a crucial role in the success of our program and the heartfelt experience had by our campers. They are responsible for the safe, caring, educational, and fun filled environment of CUWP. Each staff member having successfully completed a world tour with our parent organization Up with People, brings an in-depth understanding of our curriculum as a whole and the ability to facilitate that curriculum.
11 staff members make up the 3 departments within our staff, PA (Performing Arts), CL (Camper Life), and M&L (Marketing & Logistics).
In addition to the skills and talents they bring, each staff member undergoes an extensive background check and a rigorous training program specific to Camp Up with People’s themes, traditions, curriculum, expectations, and the completion of first-aid and CPR certification.
We take great pride in each of our staff members, past and present. After all, they are the front line of caring for your children, instilling pride, setting expectations, and loving each camper unconditionally. These 11 individuals are usually a big reason why our campers come back year after year and even return to become CUWP staff members to pay it forward to the next generation.
Join Our Team
- Camp Up with People is all about people of any age, becoming responsible members of our worldwide community while enjoying life to its fullest. As a member of the camp staff you will have the opportunity to improve the quality of life for yourself and others. We are looking for people who want to work, play, and interact with young people age 13 to 17. We are always looking for people who are highly professional, talented and energetic. Our staff members come from across around the world.
- Camp counselors have a tremendous responsibility in overseeing the campers experience and by serving as role models. In addition to an employment contract, all staff members (and campers) sign our Community Agreement, which outlines our accepted rights and responsibilities as members of the Camp Up with People community. This agreement goes beyond our usual policies and procedures to address issues of how we view and treat others and ourselves while at camp.
- Working at camp is about putting other people’s needs above your own. Previous staff members have said that working at camp was one of the hardest things they ever did, but also the most rewarding. You will learn to know yourself better, experience the infinite rewards of working with youth. Camp gives kids a world of good, and counselors are the ones that make this happen!
Working at Camp – Staff Training
Camp begins with a two-week training/orientation program, followed by 6 weeks of summer camp sessions. During Staff Training you’ll
- Learn Camp UWP’s philosophies and policies
- Have general Staff Training
- Have departmental Staff Training
- Get to know your fellow staff members,
- Get acclimated to facilities and camp grounds
- Prepare your program and/or activity area for campers.
Camp Up with People takes the highest pride in hiring the most qualified staff in the hopes of providing our campers and families with an unparalleled camp experience. We look forward to all interested and qualified applicants.